12/19/2012

Karma and the Double Edge Sword

Very interesting how Karma works. I post images daily...few links are ever opened. It gets rather discouraging. Tonight I ask one of my groups to please view the website of an artist who is really unwell. I posted the link to her website.

 A short while later I posted my own image (as usual) not giving it any more thought. Then I received a notice that my image had been viewed 248 times. That was in just over one hour. This can take months ... if not longer normally... just to have a few people  actually open the link and look at an image.

I wondered... what's up??? I have posted this same image more than a dozen times before... with few results. Then it came to me... Karma. I truly hope this artist also gets some real benefit as well. When I posted I also had a respected Travel Writer re tweet my posted image, with a wonderful comment. That means his followers will his tweet and maybe open the link to look at my image...perhaps more than one.

Why post images on the internet?? Why does it matter if people open the link and just have a look? It matters to Google. If no one looks then they surmise your post is of no value and they just don't list you. Why does that matter? Well if you spend more than 40 hours a week promoting your art to get viewed and then when people type in Cougar (for example) they will not find my Cougar in the Deep Snow. By the way I actually do have a cougar (lynx and wolves too in the deep snow). Sorry that was a shameless plug...

So as an artist the result is you spend hours and months promoting images that will never get found (if no one looks) and will certainly never get purchased. For those who depend on making a living from their art that is a matter of survival.

 The internet can indeed be a double edge sword.

I invite you to visit my Fine Art Photography Site HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is appreciate and will appear immediately after it is approved. Thank you. Kind Regards Shelley

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.